Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Recount

"This may be the first time in US history where the winner of the election asks for a recount."

I can't take credit for that quote, I heard it on one of the CNN commentaries. Unfortunately, I can't remember which one.

But, I think it might be true.

What a mess the next president gets to tackle head on.

And then there is the Bailout Bill . . . that has passed the senate at $850 billion. I've tried to do a bit of research on this bill and the implications it has for the US, and subsequently the rest of the world. Unforutnately, my studies in microbiology and chemistry left little time to study economics in depth, so I have a handicap. I'm not sure it would make a difference though since all the experts in economics can't agree on whether this is a good idea or not.

I think I would have to lean towards not passing the bill though. It seems like they would postponing the inevitable, and possibly make whatever is coming our way far worse. The longer we put off a recession, the more likely we'll be faced with a depression. It might be better to rip the band-aid off quickly and deal with the pain.

And on the other hand, I feel like it is somewhat noble to at least try to fix the economy rather than just go like a lamb to the slaughter.

I am just so glad that I am not faced with having to make this decision and taking responsibility for it.

The real problem though is looking to who will take over the presidency. Every election there always seems to be some grumbling about how "unfit" the candidates are to lead the country. Both Obama and McCain have their flaws. But have you seen Palin's interview with Katie Couric??? It is down right terrifying.

Check it out here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/24/eveningnews/main4476173.shtml

Ican't imagine a more terrifying situation for the American people: having a really old president in a stressful, cardiac-arresting economic crisis, and a VP who thinks that being geographically close to Russia and Canada makes her a good foreign relations negotiator.

Is it too late to re-do the Republican and Democratic primaries? Where is Mitt Romny when you need him?

A lot of you may be wondering why this Canadian is taking such a deep interest in American economics and politics . . . especially when we are having our own election in two weeks and sadly, I haven't really studied anything about our own candidates.

Well, American politics are far more interesting, even if they are scary. (See Palin's interview. Even SNL's spoof on it made Palin sound more intelligent.) Secondly, we have an expression up here: "When the US sneezes, Canada catches a cold." What ever happens in the US will come up to Canada and hit us even harder.

That's pretty scary given the doom and gloom predictions for the States right now.

However, there was an economist interviewed on CNN last night who was asked about the accuracy of leading economists in predicting recessions/depressions. He said, "Economists have predicted 9 of the last 5 recessions." (Meaning, they always predict the worst and it doesn't always work out that way.)

Here's to hoping that things won't unfold as badly as they are predicting.

No comments: